Steve Jobs was a wise man

Tuesday 2 August 2011

How old would you feel if you didn't know how old you were?

I celebrated my 40th birthday this week and I started thinking about age and the stigma it has in our society. I don't feel any older than I did in my twenties except that I am much wiser. If you awoke from a coma with no memory of your age and no mirror, how old would you feel? I think that is the most important thing, not the number derived from your birth certificate.

 
Quick Quote
"You are as young as you feel. If you begin to feel the warmth of your soul, there will be a youthfulness in you that no one will be able to take away from you." ~ John O'Donohue (Anam Cara: A book of celtic wisdom)

 
You are as young as you think
You may have heard the saying that you are as old as you feel. But how you feel is dependant on what you are thinking. So I believe that you are as young as you think. Age is a state of mind. You can choose to think the thoughts that you had 20 years ago, although you would probably choose to get rid of the more silly and negative thoughts!

 
Some tips on staying young:
  • Keep up with the changing world  
  • Regularly interact with people younger than you  
  • Keep learning, including from your children and younger generations  
  • Stay open minded - I think people start appearing old when they have fixed views and can't see other perspectives  
  • Remain curious  
  • Exercise and relax regularly 
  • Wear clothes which make you feel younger (bright and fun) 
My grandma, in her 80's was always helping the "old lady" down the road who was 70. Grandma refused to be old! 
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter" ~ Mark Twain

What do you think?

1 comment:

Alison U Miller said...

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old – We grow old because we stop playing.”